The Entire Thing…
Well – this is very exciting. Pandora is playing the ENTIRE Unruly Helga (Self Titled) album on the Unruly Helga Station. I don’t know about other stations. I don’t know exactly how it works as far as how it gets peppered into other peoples stations. All I know is that between myself and a few other close friends that have been keeping me up to date as to which songs they are hearing, we’ve heard every single one. Cool.
The usual Pandora system for an independent artist, as I understand it, goes like this:
- You submit two songs to the Genome Project through a complicated and time consuming process via the Pandora website.
- Several people in different departments over at Pandora listen to those songs and decide if your music is high enough quality to be a put into the rotation (for lack of a better term)
- If the two songs get accepted then it takes another 3-4 months before they become available to the listener on the site (again, as I understand it, they get sent through a rigorous and time consuming labeling system that allows the song to be put in the correct genre and categories)
- THEN wallah – your two songs are in the system and available to be heard by the listener.
- More songs may not be submitted for another 6 months, and then the same process starts again.
So when I submitted Unruly Helga I only submitted two songs, as directed (Maybe You and Light As Air). I am very good about following instructions and I know the repercussions in cases like this are usually harsh – as in – “You didn’t follow instructions? Thrown out. Don’t bother re-submitting. You’re a loser who can’t follow simple directions. Go away.” I was very careful – as usual.
I put a note on my calendar from the time my songs got accepted for about 4 months later and started checking… nothing… nothing… still nothing. Should I email? No – that’s annoying. Leave it alone. Nothing…
Then oneday I was rehearsing with my talented friend Nathan (for a different project to be announced at a later date) and he randomly told me that he has been on the Unruly Helga station on Pandora but no Unruly songs were coming up. What??! So you CAN make an Unruly Helga station? This is news. Rehearsal was interrupted as I opened up Pandora and tried to enter Unruly Helga.
Well – what do you know? The first song that came up was NOT one of the two songs I submitted. Huh. That’s weird. I wonder what happened? Well apparently someone over there either messed up or really liked the whole thing for some reason because every 5-6 songs you’ll hear another new UH track. That’s nice. That kind of thing does not happen often to me. And when it does. It feels good. I just wish I could have a conversation with the person who made that decision and ask them why and how. I like/need the “why” and “how” of all things, so imagine how curious I am about this? But I’m going to leave it alone and just be happy that my songs somehow made it in without ever being submitted. So cool. BONUS: I also REALLY like most of the songs that get played on my station. That’s really really nice as well. So many talented artists out there that you’ve never heard of! UH is for sure in good company.
I love Pandora. I have always loved Pandora. The station most listened to in our house right now is “Sesame Street” so my son loves Pandora too. I am very grateful and excited to be a part of such a smart website.
Now I just have to find the time to start to overly complicated and annoying process of getting lyrics and bio linked up to my station and songs. But that’s another entry…
ps – when you listen don’t forget to hit THUMBS UP for the UH songs you hear and like.